Sunday 15 May 2011

Fantasy World

I’ve been thinking long and hard about what I have planned to write over the next few years.  The next few blogs will take a look at each on individually so you can read the ones you want and comment where you see fit.
This first one is the one that’s coursing me to think the most.  I’ve been a fan of dark fantasy with the thoughts of strange and magical creatures.  I keep looking at Dark Crystal and Labyrinth and enjoy the creative muppets that they use.  Shying away from the Tolkien elves, dwarves and goblins that many novels, roleplaying games have adopted.  The use of muppets gives them the option to make unique, none humanoid characters.  This use of imagination was also used in the cult sci-fi show Farscape.  At the same time I do like the Tolkien races from Lord of the Rings and the twists that have been made in various media, for example the numerous version of elves in the Dungeon & Dragon world of Eberron.  In this world they have persian style horse riders, clerical undead worshippers and sneaky assassin/thief guilds, not just woodland elves.  
Baring all this in mind, I want to create a world that has a mixture of these elements but without just copying from Jim Henson and Tolkien.  I have many ideas but as per usual I can’t keep my mind on one project.  Is this a bad thing though?  After all my superhero world for my comic books have grown extremely fast.  If I could create a fantasy world with such a variation in storytelling I think i would be incredibly happy.  Especially with the thoughts spreading this world into all the media areas that I like; I easily do several novels, make a movie and even use it as a photography project.  I know enough people who are good at drawing, costume design, make-up and prosthetics.  I think I would need a like minded person to help me make the world though to either stop me going too far or maybe to push me that bit more.
So what do I fill my world with?  Well lets see what I like.  I like the sea and people that use the ocean as a living.  I like goblins, steam punk, swords, bows and arrows.  I like big fights, childhood escapism, rain.  I like ice.  I like new and interesting races as well as a spin on the old ones.  I like unexplored regions.  I’m not fond of magic but could have my arm twisted if someone can come up with a way to have magic without being over the top.
What do you think?  As always feel free to comment, or not, your choice.
LLAP
Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment